Applicants Age 16 and 17
Most applicants age 16-17 must apply in person using Form DS-11.
Passports for applicants over 16 are valid for 10 years.
How to Apply
1. Fill Out Form DS-11
- The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.
- If applying on Form DS-11, do not sign it until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
- If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
- For more information, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
- You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by checking the '52 page' box at the top of the application.
2. Provide U.S. Citizenship Evidence
You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists your parent(s)' full names
- Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
- Has the registrar's signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.
3. Bring a Photocopy of U.S. Citizenship Evidence
Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the U.S. citizenship evidence you’re submitting.Photocopies must be:
- On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
- Black and white
If you do not want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.
4. Show Parental Awareness
If you have your own identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport by yourself. However, we strongly recommend that at least one parent accompany you to show parental awareness.Examples of Parental Awareness:
If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.
- A parent appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport
- A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).
5. Present ID
You (or your parent/guardian) must present one of the following IDs to the acceptance agent.
- In-state, fully-valid driver's license
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship (if the photo is still looks like you)
- Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
- U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
- Valid foreign passport
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)
If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.Please note:
- If you present out-of-state identification, you must present an additional ID.
- If you have completed or are going through gender transition, please see these additional requirements.
6. Bring a Photocopy of ID
Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.Requirements:
- Photocopy must be on white, 8.5 x 11" standard paper.
- Photocopy cannot be double-sided.
- Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it).
7. Provide a Photo
8. Calculate Fees
Adult Applicants (age 16 and older):
Product Form Application Fee Execution Fee Passport Book DS-11 $110 $25 Passport Card DS-11 $30 $25 Passport Book & Card DS-11 $140 $25
Please note: The application fee and the execution fee are paid separately.
For fees of other applications or services, please see Passport Fees.
9. Submit Completed Application
Inside the United States:
Outside the United States:Please contact your U.S. Embassy and Consulate for how to submit your documents, since processes vary.
- You must submit your completed application, including citizenship evidence, photocopy of ID, photo, and fees, in person at a passport acceptance facility.
- You may be eligible to apply in person at a passport agency if you are traveling soon. Please see Get a Passport in a Hurry for more information.
Can I mail in my application or apply online?
You cannot mail in Form DS-11. Additionally, the Department of State does not have the option to submit your passport application online.
When can a 16-17 year old use Form DS-82?
Do I have to make an appointment to apply at an acceptance facility?
Some acceptance facilities require appointments and others do not. We recommend calling the acceptance facility ahead of time to verify their hours, acceptable forms of payment, and appointment requirements. Find your acceptance facility.
How will my passport book and/or card be mailed back to me?
Newly-issued passport books are delivered using Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for Priority Express return service at time of application.
All passport cards will be mailed using First Class Mail. Passport cards cannot be delivered using Priority Express.
Your citizenship evidence will be mailed back separately from your new passport.
It states on my U.S. birth certificate that is it illegal to make a copy. What should I do?
If you choose not to submit a photocopy, you may submit a second certified copy of your birth certificate.
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals (By Mail)
Routine 4-6 Weeks
Expedited 2-3 Weeks